1) Content Advertising
The first type of advertising technique is content advertising. It basically uses content to draw visitors’ attention. It is the main type of advertising technique because the entire internet is made up of content (or information).
The following traffic strategies all fall under content advertising technique:
- Submitting articles to article directories
- Posting articles to Squidoo, Hubpages or Blogger
- Posting articles to your own blog or content website
- Press release
- Paid reviews at other people’s website
- Yahoo answers
- Social bookmarking at Digg, Propeller etc
- Post videos in video sites
- Posting comments in forums
In content advertising, you draw traffic from 2 sources. You either get the traffic from the website where the content is posted or from the search engine.
Existing traffic from the website is given. There is nothing much you need to do other than making sure that your content is good and your title is interesting.
The real challenge lies in getting traffic from the search engine. Your aim is to get high ranking in the search engine and direct the traffic from the search engine to your content and then to your website. This is done through careful keyword research and search engine optimization.
2) Link Advertising
3) Viral advertising
4) Incentivized advertising
5) Obtrusive advertising